Marrakech Day 3 and 4

Marrakech Day 3 and 4

Day 3

Day 3 started much like both the other days, we got up earlyish and had breakfast. But today we decided that we were going to chill at the Riad for a little bit before we started our day.

This was because we felt like we had no energy. You know that no energy feeling where moving your hand feels like lifting a weight?

So instead we headed up to our little rooftop hideaway, made our day plan and then sunbathed.

Our Riad had a little jacuzzi on the rooftop, which they had running.. In July, their hottest month of the year… We originally thought that this was a bit odd, because who is going to want to use a Jacuzzi in 40 degree heat?

Well turns out, we did.

When we were sunbathing we decided we would give it a go. It was a nice luke warm temperature and to our surprise was the perfect way to cool down!

After about an hour or so of sunbathing, going in the Jacuzzi, sunbathing, going in the Jacuzzi and so on, we decided it was time to go back to our rooms and get ready for the day.

We did our usual walk to Jemaa El Fna square, but instead of walking into the Souks we headed straight for the taxi rank to get a taxi to Jardin Majorelle. To our shock the driver said it was only going to be MAD 30! So no bartering on the price required and we hoped in and set off.

We had originally played with the idea of hiring a taxi organised by our Riad to take us to a few of the touristy places, but it worked out to be so expensive so we decided against it. We realised that if we really wanted to do all the touristy things on the list we had made, then we could just walk there or hail a taxi to take us there, which actually would have worked out cheaper than paying over the odds just because the taxi driver was going to hang around and wait for us….

Once at Jardin Majorelle we paid the ticket cost, which was MAD 70 per person and headed in.

The first thing you see when you enter is this little blue square fountain in the middle of the courtyard. From there you follow the path further into the garden and you can go in two directions.

One direction is towards the famous cobalt blue building known as Majorelle Blue, this was originally where Jacques Majorelle and his wife lived. It is now the Berber Museum. The other direction heads round towards the Yves Saint Laurent memorial.

We decided that we would go to Majorelle Blue first and then follow the path from there to the Yves Saint Laurent memorial. Once here we took loads of photos and stared at the colour wondering how it was possible to make a building such a beautiful bright colour.

Afterwards we walked round to the Yves Saint Laurent memorial. This memorial was built when Yves Saint Laurent passed away and after his ashes were scattered in the rose garden of the Villa Oasis. The memorial is a solid pillar on top of a pedestal with a plate with his name on. What a lovely way to remember such an incredibe and artistic man.

From here we carried on our walk around the garden.

I loved how the whole garden was filled with exotic plants from all over the world, including many different types of cacti from all over the world. It was amazing!

Back near Majorelle Blue is where you can find this beautiful walkway, a cafe, a bookshop, a little boutique and the Galerie Love.

The Galerie Love is where a collection of Yves Saint Laurent’s Love posters are exhibited. These posters were sent each year to friends and clients of his fashion house.

You may be wondering why Yves Saint Laurent crops up so much during this post and what he has to do with Jardin Majorelle. The reason is, Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Bergé bought Jardin Majorelle in 1980 to save it from being demolished and a hotel complex being built in its place. After Yves Saint Laurent passed away in 2008, Pierre Bergé donated Jardin Majorelle back to Marrakech.

Jardin Majorelle is an amazing piece of silent and serene heaven away from the hustle and bustle and nosiness of Jemaa El Fna. A place I would definitely recommend a visit to if you are in Marrakech.

After wandering around here for about an hour or more we decided to stop off at the little cafe we had seen on the way and have a can of sprite. It’s crazy how the heat can make you crave a sugary drink!

From there we hopped in another cab to take us back to the Jemaa El Fna square so that we could do some more shopping. We also wanted to see how different the square ended up being at night.

We bought what we wanted and then decided it was time to get some food. Like creatures of habit we found ourselves back at the Western restaurant we had been to on the first day.

This place was a perfect location for a bit of people watching and we managed to watch as the square got ready for another night of excitement.

After we paid up we left and headed towards this group of people who were clapping and cheering. Walking past henna ladies and men with monkeys on leads we eventually got to the crowd and found out what all the excitement was about.

After spending about half an hour or more watching what was going on we decided to head back to the Riad and start packing, as we were heading home the next day and had to check out at 11.

I can’t believe how quickly the time has gone!

Day 4

Day 4 was a slightly later start and we headed down to breakfast at about 9:30ish and quickly ate so that we could go and finish our packing before getting ready for our last day.

Our flight wasn’t until the evening so we decided to take our usual walk as if heading to Jemaa El Fna. However, instead of walking all the way to the square we decided that we would hang around the stalls that we had walked past in the days before.

It’s insane what you can miss when you’re set on going to one place! We found so many shops that had things we wanted but for much cheaper prices than in the Souks. I of course bought loads more stuff, I mean it would be rude not to right?

After a lot of shopping and bartering we decided it was time to get some lunch. So we headed back through the stalls and to a little restaurant that had a rooftop area.

The food in this restaurant was so delicious I wanted to eat the same meal again!

My only issue with the place was that we got told that they took card but when it came to paying they told us it had to be cash..

Luckily we still had some cash left over and hadn’t spent it all, as that could have ended up being an interesting situation.

After our lunch we headed back to our Riad to get ourself ready to be picked up to go to the airport.

Once we got back here we were drenched in sweat. It was 49 degrees!!

So unfortunate that the hottest day was our last day.. but luckily our Riad had a little dip pool downstairs which we were told we could hop into and cool off.

Did it cool us off? You betcha it did. It was ice cold!!

We had to do the whole ‘going down to your knees, and then go down to your hips, and then your waist and then finally put your shoulders in’ because it was so cold! But it did the trick so I suppose I can’t complain too much.

After getting out of the ice pool we dried off and got dressed just in time for the taxi driver to arrive and take us to the airport.

We thanked the Riad and said our goodbyes. Telling them that we would be back.

For once, this wasn’t a lie for me. I can’t wait to go back to Marrakech again. I’ve fallen in love with the place and despite the stories, the people too.

Thank you Marrakech for teaching me once again to take what people say with a pinch of salt. See you again soon.

I promise x

Leave a Reply